Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Black History Month Celebration
This celebration will kick off with a Martin Luther King Jr. Day prayer service on January 18th at 2 p.m. The service will be held at 2 p.m. in the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception and livestreamed on Campus Ministry's Facebook page.
Beginning on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day and extending through the end of Black History Month, students are invited to submit forms of artistic/academic expression centered around the theme of Sharing Our Voices, Telling Our Stories: Contemplating the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and our Nation’s Struggle for Racial Justice. Submissions may include but are not limited to:
- Short stories
- Visual Art
- Performance Piece
Submissions will be collected beginning January 18, MLK Day through February 24. Submissions will be reviewed and then distributed via email to the greater Rosemont community weekly until the last week of Black History Month.
Three submissions will be selected to receive 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place cash prizes ($250; $100; and $75 respectively); from the Office of Diversity and Belonging and will be presented at our concluding prayer service on February 27.
Submissions must be/have:
- Relevant to the Theme
- Consistent & Strong Message or Vision
- Creative Production Value
- Technically & Structurally Sound
1. Paper submissions can be submitted in the form of a jpg, pdf, One drive link
2. Academic Papers should have 1500 word limit
3. Creative Writing submissions should have a 2-page maximum.
1. Export your video in a YouTube acceptable format: .MOV .MPEG4 .MP4 .AVI .WMV .MPEGPS .FLV .3GPP .WEBM
2. Upload your video to YouTube, Vimeo and copy the link. Please test your link to make sure you have successfully uploaded your video.
3. Video can be submitted in the form of a video or audio (MP3) file.
4. 1-2 minute video limit
1. This visual art piece can be visually shown through a collection of photos and creatively put together. Some ideas: using sound slides, photo gallery with music or power point presentation.
2. Please submit in following format: power point file, MOV. Quick Time, or YouTube link.
- Review the rules and criteria below prior to submitting your entry.
- Upload your pieces in a timely manner.
- All entries are due by Febryary 24.
- After your piece is submitted, it will be reviewed
- Submissions will be evaluated in terms of their relevance to the theme Sharing our Voices, Telling our Stories: Contemplating the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and our Nation’s Struggle for Racial Justice. Committee members reserve the right to deny submissions based on their lack of relevance or appropriateness.