Alternate content for script Text Only VersionSkip to Main Content

General Education FAQs

A woman with brown hair faces a blackboard on which "FAQ" is written in white chalk.


Yes, but there are some limitations. Testing for courses must be approved prior to registering to take the test(s). Please contact your program advisor for further instructions. 

Yes. We call this a Portfolio Learning Assessment (PLA). Details can be obtained from your program director.

An independent study is only offered as a last resort to fulfill a general studies requirement.  All other options must be exhausted before an IS request will be considered. Options include:

  1. Taking Dantes and/or Clep exams
  2. Taking another approved course in that session
  3. Registering for the course again in another session 

Students need to exhaust these options before requesting an independent study.

Note: Independent Studies cannot be used to maintain aid eligibility.