Many people work from home at least one day per week. Working from home saves energy and time by cutting out the commute, but it may increase your home energy bills unless you use energy-saving office equipment.
ENERGY STAR-labeled office equipment is widely available. It can provide dramatic energy savings—as much as 90% savings for some products. Overall, ENERGY STAR-labeled office products use about half the electricity of standard equipment. Find ENERGY STAR products and standards at energystar.gov.
Home Office Tips
• Selecting energy-efficient office equipment and turning off machines when they are not in use can result in significant energy savings.
• Using an ENERGY STAR-labeled computer can save 30%-65% energy than computers without this designation, depending on usage.
• Spending a large portion of time in low-power mode not only saves energy but helps equipment run cooler and last longer.
• Putting your laptop AC adapter on a power strip that can be turned off (or will turn off automatically) can maximize savings; the transformer in the AC adapter draws power continuously, even when the laptop is not plugged into the adapter.
• Using the power management settings on computers and monitors can cause significant savings.
• It is a common misperception that screen savers reduce a monitor’s energy use. Use automatic switching to sleep mode or simply turn it off.
Shop for ENERGY STAR® Office Products
Multifunction devices (fax, scanner, and copier)