College has purchased this picturesque Queen Anne Victorian home, known
as Gracemere, to create a living learning community for the College's
honors students (the program was reinstituted in 2010). Alba B. Johnson,
former owner of Baldwin Locomotive, built the three-story, 7,000 square
foot home in 1888 for his family.
This highly synergistic, cost-effective project allows Rosemont College to simultaneously achieve important goals:
- Increase undergraduate enrollment and retention - especially of high-achieving students.
- Enhance student learning by providing a living learning community for honors students.
- Preserve the physical and architectural integrity of the Rosemont College campus.
- Facilitate completion of Rosemont's master plan.
- Maintain the quality of life in the neighborhood.
- Strengthen and deepen community engagement.