Edward L. Holland / John McShain
Lawrence Hall was built to provide more space for classrooms, an art studio, an art gallery, and faculty offices. The lower level has a lecture hall that seats 250. The new structure was named for Mother Mary Lawrence Swinburne, born in England to a family that included the English poet, Algernon Charles Swinburne. She had a BA/MA from Oxford University before entering the Society of the Holy Child Jesus. Coming to America, she took her PhD in history from Fordham University before coming to Rosemont in 1922. In 1953, she was honored as a Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania for both her community service and achievements as a teacher. She died in March 1968, just prior to the dedication of the new building. Her portrait hangs in the entrance hall, painted by Victoria Donohoe, Rosemont ’50.