Dorothy McKenna Brown Science Building

BUILT: 1953

ARCHITECT/BUILDER: Gleeson & Mulroney

HISTORY: Since 1928, all of the science labs had been located in Good Counsel Hall, along with an auditorium in the basement. By the early 1950s, neither fitted the needs of a growing college. Plans were drawn for a new building dedicated to the sciences with an attached building for an auditorium. This new building complex was completed in 1953.


MAJOR ALTERATIONS:


ARCHITECT/BUILDER: Geddes Brecker Qualls & Cunningham / Nason & Cullen, Inc.

In 1992, after 38 years of use, a major revamping of the entire complex was needed. Work was completed in December 1992. At this time, the names were changed to the Dorothy McKenna Brown Science Building – in honor of the president of Rosemont College from 1979 to 1991. The auditorium was now the McShain Performing Arts Center.