Cornelia Connelly Hall

BUILT: 1925

ARCHITECT/BUILDER: Grosvenor Atterbury / William Steele & Sons Company

HISTORY: Until it was built, students were housed in Main Building and in “Old Mayfield” – a converted barn from the old Sinnott estate. This first residence hall on campus was named in honor of Cornelia Connelly, the foundress of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus. The interior housed 70 students in small single and double rooms. The heart of the building was a large living room with French doors that opened onto the large front terrace. Many generations of students called Connelly home.


MAJOR ALTERATIONS


ARCHITECT/BUILDER: Kimmel Bogrette Architecture + Site/ Nason Construction Comany

Early in the 21st century, it was evident that Connelly needed an upgrade. In December 2005, the new Connelly Hall was ready to open its doors. New air-conditioning, heating systems, new wiring, and suites of rooms, plus an elevator and a “great room” built on the back of the building.