All applicants must
hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year college or
university, preferably with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Most importantly,
applicants must demonstrate proficiency and promise in the writing genre
of their choice through submission of a writing sample. Application
materials may be obtained from the Office of Admissions or online at
www.rosemont.edu. Formal admission to the program is granted only after
all admissions materials have been received and reviewed, and all
standards have been met.
To apply to the M.F.A. in Creative Writing program, the following must be completed:
- Application. Either in paper accompanied by a non-refundable $50 fee or online where the fee will be waived;
- Request that all previous undergraduate (and graduate) institutions send official transcripts to Rosemont;
- Request three letters of recommendation, preferably from those who can address your academic and/or professional competencies;
- For applicants whose native language is not English, official copies of TOEFL scores are required;
- Writing sample and statement of purpose. Your full name, date of
submission, email, and phone number should appear on the first page. On
each subsequent page, your full name should appear as the header along
with the page number.
- For fiction/nonfiction, a maximum of twenty pages. The
submission may be an excerpt from a longer work, preferably from the
- For poetry, submit five poems.
- For dramatic writing, submit the first 20 pages of your script.
Include with the writing sample a one-page reflection in which you discuss
why you selected this particular writing and what areas you’d like to
develop while in the program.
Statement of Purpose
Please submit an essay (typed, double-spaced,
500 words maximum) detailing your goals in earning an M.F.A. in Creative Writing. In your statement of purpose address not only why Rosemont would be a good place for you, but what you think you can contribute to the writing community here.
All written documents (writing sample, statement of purpose, letters of
recommendation) must be submitted as a Microsoft Word document to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and contact information on the documents.