First year students are admitted into the major and certificate programs on a provisional basis as a "pre-education" major. The Pennsylvania Department of Education promulgates the requirements for "formal" admission to any approved teacher preparation program in Pennsylvania. After these criteria are met, students may then declare the major in PK-4 Elementary, PK-4 Elementary with PK-8 Certification, or the certificate track.
The requirements set forth by the Pennsylvania Department of Education are as follows:
- Students must complete 48 credits of general education and introductory education courses.
- A GPA of 3.0 (or reasonable expectation of achieving a 3.0 prior to student teaching).
- Six credits of college level mathematics
- Three credits of English composition and three credits of English Literature
- Interview with the Director of Teacher Education
- Passing scores in the Basic Skills Requirement tests for educators*
*The Basic Skills Requirement can be satisfied by passing scores on the following.
Education Majors must, in most circumstances, maintain a 3.0 GPA in order to be certified in Pennsylvania. Students must also pass the appropriate PECT and current instructional content assessments. As of March, 2016, PDE is permitting students to use “mixed” test scores from vendors for the basic skills requirement. Please see the Director of Teacher Education for specific details.