M.A. in Literacy and K-12 Reading Specialist Certification Program
The K-12 Reading Specialist Certificate is designed to address the International Literacy Association’s Standards for Reading Professionals:
- Foundational Knowledge
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Literate Environment
- Professional Learning and Leadership
Candidates are also required to demonstrate proficiency on the PDE Reading Specialist competencies and take the Praxis Reading Specialist exam at the conclusion of the program to become certified in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- EDU 4563 - Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- EDU 4575 - Children and Adolescent Literature
- EDU 4585 - Instructional Strategies for Teaching Reading
- EDU 4550 - Teaching Special Needs Students
- EDU 4520 - Teaching English Language Learners
- EDU 4590 - Assessment and Analysis
- EDU 4565 - Multicultural Literature
- EDU 4596 - Literacy Practicum & Seminar: Early/Elementary/Secondary Education
Candidates who successfully complete the program of studies (30 credits) will be awarded a M.A.
Degree in Literacy from Rosemont College.
- EDU 4526 - Literacy and Society
- EDU 4513 - Teaching and Technology
Maximum of 6 credits completed within the last 5 years.