History

Rosemont College was founded in 1921 by the Society of the Holy Child Jesus.

From the institution’s early days through the present, the SHCJ foundress, Cornelia Connelly has been a driving force behind Rosemont’s charge to educate students “to meet the wants of the age,” which has been an integral part of the growth of the College.

Rosemont is situated on 56 acres in the historic residential neighborhood of Rosemont, Pennsylvania, 11 miles west of Philadelphia on the suburban Main Line. The College is known for its excellent academic reputation and its focus on developing the intellectual, spiritual, and emotional well being of each student.

Studying

Over the year’s Rosemont has evolved to “meet the wants of the age,” by developing as one college with three schools: the Undergraduate College and the Schools of Graduate and Professional Studies.

On May 30, 2008 the Board of Trustees of Rosemont College approved a Strategic Plan which emphasized and expanded the College’s enrollment, programs, and reputation by embracing co-education, partnerships, and online education. In 2009, the College opened its doors at the undergraduate level to all interested and qualified women and men in the, unifying the College’s three schools and expanding the College’s mission of being a ‘community of learners’. That same year, the Schools of Graduate and Professional received accreditation to offer fully online degree programs from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education Studies.

Rosemont enriches its offerings through an extensive collaboration with many of its neighboring educational institutions such as Villanova University, Eastern University, Cabrini College, Immaculata University, and others. Rosemont has established partnerships through articulation agreements with Drexel and Temple Universities to offer pre-med, dual-degree and honor programs.

The College reaches out to the community by offering a variety of non-credit programs and a unique “Forum” program for men and women of all ages, in addition to on campus art exhibitions and cultural programs.

Rosemont has approximately 8,000 living alumni. They can be found in high-ranking positions in science and medicine, publishing, politics, business, education, law, and the arts. Rosemont is consistently ranked by U.S. News and World Report, and has also been named to the John Templeton Foundation’s Honor Roll and “Character-Building Colleges” and as a “College of Distinction.” Rosemont is one of 218 colleges named “The Best Northeastern Colleges” by The Princeton Review. Rosemont provides women and men of all ages and backgrounds with an educational and spiritual foundation aimed to help them reach their utmost potential.

Rosemont is committed to preparing individuals to meet the challenges of the times and to act responsibly and effectively in an ever-changing world.

Timeline

1920-1929

The Holy Child College for Women opens with seven students.

Mother Marie Joseph Dalton, SHCJ, Provincial Supervisor, appointed the College’s first president.

1922

Rosemont College is incorporated and receives its official charter, empowering it to grant degrees in Arts, Sciences, and Letters.

Mother Mary Dolores Brady, SHCJ is chosen as the College’s president.

1924

Athletic facilities (field hockey, tennis, and the gymnasium) are completed and ready for action.

Mother Mary Ignatius Carroll, SHCJ, appointed as the College’s third president.

1925

Connelly Hall is built. Rosemont’s first commencement ceremony is held with two graduates.

1926

The Gertrude Kistler Memorial Library is opened.

Rosemont wins its first basketball game, beating Ursinus 27-25.

The Student Government is established.

The Alumnae Association is established with Helen Blake ’25 as president.

1927

Athletic uniforms are updated from maroon to grey flannel.

1928

Good Counsel Hall is built.

1929

Old Mayfield (converted Sinnott barn) is replaced with the new Mayfield serving as a residence and dining hall.

1930-1939

1931

Provisions are made for students to spend their junior year abroad at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland.

The Rambler is introduced as the College’s student newspaper.

1932

Team uniforms are changed from grey to rose-colored poplin material.

1933

First literary magazine “Bridges” is published.

1934

Dorothy Day becomes a faculty member in addition to serving as the College’s Drama Coach.

1935

Cardinal Pacelli, Papal Secretary of State (and future Pope Pius XII), visits Rosemont.

1936

Rambler Inn or the T House opens as a student activities center.

First formal Tea Dance held in Main Building

1938

The first official yearbook is published. It is titled The Cornelian.

1939

Mother Mary Cleophas Foy, SHCJ, agrees to serve as the College’s president.

1940-1941

1941

The Immaculate Conception Chapel is completed.

World War II begins and Rosemont students and alumnae contribute time and money in war relief efforts.

1945

Badminton and Lacrosse are considered for athletic competition.

1946

First Cap & Gown Ceremony conducted.

Mother Mary Boniface Henze, SHCJ, invested as the College’s president.

1950-1959

1952

Mother Mary Chrysostom Diamond, SHCJ, is inaugurated as president.

1954

The Science Hall and McShain Auditorium are built.

1956

Cardinal Hall, a new dining facility, is built and named after Cardinal Dougherty, Archbishop of Philadelphia and supporter of the College since its beginning.

1957

United States Senator John F. Kennedy (35th President of the United States of America) visits Rosemont and speaks to students and faculty in Main Building.

Mother Mary Mary Aidan Cliggett, SHCJ, appointed president.

1958

Kaul Hall is built as a new residence hall and named after Bertha Kaul Kistler, mother of Gertrude Kistler.

1960-1969

1961

Alumnae Hall is built, housing the new “T” Deli and Gymnasium.

1962

Mother Mary George O’Reilly, SHCJ, ’38 becomes the first alumna to serve as president.

1964

Heffernan Hall is built as a residence hall and named in memory of Margaret Heffernan, mother of Clare Heffernan Shlora ‘47 and Frances Heffernan Rooney ‘48.

1967

The Student Government Association begins a drive toward participation in decision making, resulting in the formation of a College Council. Debates over the next few years flourish over curfews, parietals, curricula, and dress codes.

1968

Lawrence Hall is built to add more classroom space, art studios, and faculty and administrative offices.

1970-1979

1971

The Grind is created as a student entertainment center on the lower level of Cardinal Hall. (It is later moved to Alumnae Hall).

Sister Ann Marie Durst, SHCJ, appointed president.

1979

Dorothy McKenna Brown, Ed.D., becomes the first layperson to be inaugurated as president.

1980-1989

1981

A fire destroys Connelly Hall’s living room.

1986

The School of Graduate Studies is established.

1990-1999

1990

The first earned graduate degree is conferred on Anne H. Franz.

1991

The Science Hall is gutted, redesigned, and renamed the Dorothy McKenna Brown Science Building.

Ofelia Garcia assumes presidency.

1992

Pennsylvania Athletic Conference (PAC) formed.

1994

The School of Professional Studies is established.

The Conwell Multimedia Center, the gift of Jane and Marilyn Conwell, is created to replace the former Language Lab in Lawrence Hall.

1995

Margaret M. Healy, Ph.D. appointed as the College’s president.

2000-2009

2000

Rathalla is refurbished and renamed Main Building to honor the days of the College’s founding.

2001

The Bill and Rosemarie Seydel McCloskey Fitness Center is officially opened.

Ann M. Amore, Ph.D. is appointed to the Office of the President.

2003

T House is taken down.

2005

Connelly Hall is renovated as a modern living and community gathering space.

Alumna Sharon Latchaw Hirsh, Ph.D. ’70 is appointed president by the Board of Trustees following the untimely death of Ann Amore, Ph.D.

2006

The School of Graduate Studies and School of Professional Studies are merged into a single academic unit dedicated to the needs of adult learners.

2008

The Board of Trustees of Rosemont College approved a Strategic Plan which will emphasize and expand the College’s enrollment, programs, and reputation by embracing co-education, partnerships, and online education.

PAC renamed to Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC).

2009

The Schools of Graduate and Professional Studies receive accreditation to offer fully online degree programs from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.

The Class of 2013 becomes the first coeducation undergraduate class and the largest class in over 40 years.

An All-College Convocation Ceremony is held and becomes a new, annual tradition.

The Rosemont Ramblers athletic identity is replaced with the Rosemont Ravens.

Men’s soccer, basketball, and tennis begin competition. Women’s lacrosse returns to play after a year’s hiatus.

2010+

2010

The Remembering Sister Helen Mary Weisbrod SHCJ Information Commons opens in the Gertrude Kistler Library.

The first Cap & Gown Ceremony is held for the Schools of Graduate and Professional Studies.

Women’s soccer and cross country are added to the athletics’ program, in addition to men’s cross country, golf, and lacrosse.

Hired Silverpoint for new web site.